Monday, May 31, 2010

Summer on a Plate

Pin It
Today is Memorial Day which usually means parties and eating yummy BBQ but that's not going to happen today and I'm bummed. First of all, I had gum grafting done about 6 days ago so I won't be biting into any ribs or burgers for a month. Second, I now have what I think is a sinus infection and feel like crud. Boo! Since I'm here whining about not being able to eat I thought I'd share with you a couple of my favorite summertime recipes. I look at this picture and think that it is just "summer on a plate" and it makes me drool! These beans are soooo good! I hate when baked beans have floppy bacon in them and the crispy bacon in these is perfect. If you take them to a potluck definitely double the recipe because every last bean will be GONE! This is my favorite macaroni salad and I was so happy to find it. It tastes just like my mom's, who when I asked, said she didn't have a recipe for. Enjoy these at your backyard cookouts this summer!

BAKED BEANS
by Charlotte Hancey
serves 6

2 one lb cans pork and beans
2/3 C ketchup
1 1/2 C onions, chopped in bite sized pieces (I use yellow onions)
3/4 C brown sugar
6 slices bacon, chopped in bite sized pieces
1 tsp dry mustard
1 TB worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (or more if you like)

You'll need a large pot that can be used on the stovetop and in the oven. Preheat oven to 325.

Fry bacon in pot until almost crisp. Drain about 3/4 of the grease then add the onions and cook until bacon is crisp and onions are tender. Mix the rest of the ingredients into pot. Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours at 325. Uncover the last 20-30 minutes.

These beans freeze well. I like to make a double batch and freeze in portions for my family.

CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD
(www.allrecipes.com)
serves 10

4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers (optional)

Directions
1.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
2.In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight.
CHAR'S NOTES: The recipe is very versatile when it comes to the veggies. The way I like it is with chopped cucumbers, green onions, black olives, grated carrot, and any kind of bell pepper. Neither Ben or I like raw celery so I always replace it with cucumbers. Just use the base recipe and add whatever veggies you have on hand. Even tomatoes would be great!

1 comment: