Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Garlic and Citrus Roasted Chicken

Pin It
This was my first attempt at a roasted chicken and Ben and I were both surprised at how good it was. I've been making this for 2 years now and it's a family favorite. Ethan gets so excited when he sees me making it. I serve it with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. The pan sauce is so good on the potatoes! This picture is from Food Network and there's no way I'd present it like that. I'm not that fussy! This also usually takes longer than it says for me so I always start at least 2 1/2 hrs before I plan on eating. If I can do this so can you!

*NOTES: Just wanted to add a couple of things I've learned from experience with this dish. Dried oregano is fine but do 1/2 TB. Store bought lemon juice works great too. Go ahead and add some chicken broth to the roasting pan before you put it in the oven. If not, the drippings will burn fast on you. I usually use a whole carton of chicken broth. I make this so often that I divided a whole can of orange juice concentrate into individual baggies and froze them. That way, I wouldn't waste a whole can. It freezes for a long time!

GARLIC AND CITRUS ROASTED CHICKEN
Recipe by Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
• 1 (5 to 6-pound) whole roasting chicken, neck and giblets discarded
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 orange, quartered
• 1 lemon, quartered
• 1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth or a whole carton
• 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
• Kitchen string or butcher twine
Directions
Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon, and garlic halves. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string to help hold its shape. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken broth to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning. Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding broth to the pan, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce (do not clean the pan).
Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Strain into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce. Serve the chicken with the pan sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment