Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Butternut Squash and Bacon Mac-n-Cheese

Pin It
I tried this the other night and Ben and I loved it! I found this on a blog and they said that they got it from Cooking Light magazine. We both love butternut squash but I never buy it because the kids don't like it. That is understandable, though, because I hated squash too as a kid. Not surprisingly, my kids picked out the noodles and left the squash. We made them eat 2 bites of the squash and they all hated it. So, next time my plan is after I roast the squash I'll put it in a food processor or blender and add a little chicken broth. I'll add the puree in the cheese mixture and they'll never know! I just love the sweetness that the squash added. I used cavatappi pasta because it's my favorite for mac-n-cheese. This makes a whole 9x13 pan which was way too much for us but I think it would freeze well. Just divide it into two pans and don't cook the one you plan to freeze.

Butternut Squash and Bacon Mac-n-Cheese
Cooking Light

1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
Cooking Spray
1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
S&P
1 box Pasta of choice
7 slices of Bacon
1 cups Shallots, diced
1/4 cup Flour
2 cups Milk (1 or 2%)
1 cup Italian Blend shredded cheese
1/3 cup grated Fresh Parmesan

Preheat to 425. Coat the squash lightly in cooking spray, rosemary, and S&P. Roast in a pan for 45 minutes until squash is tender.

While the squash is roasting, cook the pasta, and fry the bacon. When the bacon is done, pour off all but 1 Tbsp of the drippings. Set aside the bacon, and cook the shallots 7 minutes or until translucent in the leftover drippings. Crumble the bacon and set it aside with the shallots. When the squash is done roasting, mix in the bacon and shallots and turn the oven up to 450.

Put the flour in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium-high heat and slowly whisk in the milk. When all the milk has been added, bring to a boil for 1 minute or until slightly thickened (don't let it get too thick!!). Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese. Combine the pasta and the squash mixture in a 9×13 casserole dish, and pour the milk and cheese mixture over the top. Stir to coat. Top with grated parmesan and pop back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I love butternut squash also, my kids hate it as well. I had purchased a squash a couple weeks ago and it sat on my counter until Sunday when I decided I had better cook it. I was boring and just steamed it. I thought it was tasty... Ryan and I ate it, the kids wouldn't touch it. Good idea with mixing it into the mac and cheese sauce. I will have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete