Monday, February 15, 2010

Especially Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

Pin It
My mom gave me this recipe several months ago but I hadn't found a good excuse to make it yet. I finally made it to take to a dinner invite where I was asked to bring dessert. The batter is so runny that I was skeptical but wow it was so good! The recipe calls for dark chocolate cocoa and I only had regular. It turned out great, though, but next time I'll try dark. I think the dark cocoa would make the cake flavor stronger but I thought the frosting was perfect. It reminded me of the frosting on chocolate topped donuts! My absolute favorite dessert is chocolate cake with chocolate frosting so even though it wasn't my "cheat day" I couldn't keep my hands off of it. I now know what my 30th birthday cake will be! I have to have something to look forward to that dreadful day don't I?

It made 24 cupcakes and I still had batter leftover. I used the rest in some mini bundt pans of mine. For cupcakes, only bake for about 15 minutes. The recipe says a cake would take 30 minutes but I'd check it after 20 just to be safe.

ESPECIALLY DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING

2 cups sugar
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup Hershey’s special dark cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil (canola worked for me)
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9 inch pans. Stir together dry ingredients, add eggs milk, oil and vanilla. Beat at med. speed 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water, batter will be thin. Pour into pans, bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Frosting
1 stick butter
2/3 cup Hershey’s dark cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
½ tsp vanilla
Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in cocoa, alternately add powdered sugar, milk, beat till spreading consistency, add vanilla, and add a little more milk if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment